Mobile Market Associate (part-time, hiring for Fall 2023!) Apply Now
Lowcountry Street Grocery is the flagship of our family of social enterprises
conjointly dedicated to providing a more equitable, sustainable local food
system for all. Lowcountry Street Grocery (LSG) began as a single grassroots
mobile farmers’ market intent on bringing “produce to the people” and hitting
the road in April 2017. LSG has now grown and diversified with two adjoining
sister enterprises: Community Supported Grocery (CSG) and GroceryRx (GRx).
Community Supported Grocery aims to connect small farmers and producers to
neighbors all across the Charleston area, with a particular focus on local food
equity and convenience via home delivery. GroceryRx is LSG’s comprehensive
RDN-led produce-prescription program. It is deliberately designed to employ the
power of healthy food and nutrition education to clinical settings, ultimately
empowering health & wellness equity through community and data-driven results.
GRx is both buoyed and leveraged by the immense community, inventory, and
experience of LSG, with the expansive logistics, volume, and geography of CSG.
Under the wings of Lowcountry Street Grocery, both CSG & GRx exponentially
advance the collective mission to sustainably and radically address systemic
barriers to healthy food access, food insecurity, as well as local food
proliferation. All outlets employ our “Robin Hood” pricing strategy that
leverages revenue from high demand sales to directly address community needs. We
envision a community that naturally supports both neighbors in need and small,
local producers through radical, innovative systems that prove sustainability
and resilience. As we grow our team, we seek individuals that believe in our
mission and are invested in helping to make that vision a reality. Phew.
We are seeking a passionate, self-motivated individual to help run the retail
operations on our mobile farmers market. Our mobile market is a retrofitted
school bus named Nell. Its primary purpose is to support and increase local food
access, and healthy food equity for the greater Charleston area through
mobility, empowerment, and community. Our mobile market delivers local, healthy
food retail establishments in various locations on a set weekly schedule.
Seasonal market hours range from 10am–6pm Tuesdays-Saturdays. The market
associate will help run daily on-site operations, promote and explain our
mission, healthy food incentive programs, as well as products and producers.
This position is responsible for weekly market operations including but not
limited to direct to consumer sales, customer engagement, inventory management,
as well as frequent product rotation and merchandising. The Market Associate
will work closely with and report directly to the Mobile Market Coordinator as
well as the Mobile Market Manager and CSG (Community Supported Grocery) staff.
This position must maintain strict market standards both during operating hours
and opening/closing. The associate position will require an interest in the
field of local food systems and food justice, strong communication skills,
strong attention to detail and the ability to pivot, and problem-solve with near
autonomy. This position is ideal for someone pursuing a career in food,
nutrition, customer-relations, social entrepreneurship, retail, non-profit, and
MOBILE MARKET ASSOCIATE RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist with daily mobile market operations from bus
loading/unloading, inventory management, point of sale, restocking
- Assist with daily market opening and/or closing procedures.
- Understand LSG inventory in order to sell a variety of products with the
ability to recommend pairings and complimentary products.
- Create and maintain an inviting shopping experience through oozy vibes,
and supreme customer service.
- Support other LSG initiatives such as Community Supported Grocery,
GroceryRx, and other forms of community outreach or resource sharing
- Log SNAP/EBT, and Healthy Bucks Incentives, as well as GroceryRx vouchers
- Cross-train and assist with Community Supported Grocery(CSG) operations
when prioritized and/or during market hiatuses.
- Consistently coordinate with mothership (onsite CSG & GRx) support staff
throughout the day for seamless operations.
- Other duties as assigned to meet business needs.
TEAM MEMBER SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
● Experience in local agriculture/food and beverage appreciated.
● Experience with large vehicles and high-volume food trucks appreciated.
● Spanish speaking fluency is a huge plus.
● Proficiency in Microsoft and Google Data Suites.
● Proficiency Google Communications.
● Ability to take direction, work independently, and as a member of a team
to be a force for good in the community.
● Possess a love of people and a desire for excellent customer service.
● Possess a positive, enthusiastic attitude.
● Must demonstrate a strong sense of urgency.
● Has good problem-solving skills, is hard-working and creative, and pays
attention to details.
● Must possess a passion for clean, local food and telling the story behind
the food and the producer.
● Good interpersonal skills including the ability to communicate well
verbally and in writing.
● Must conduct oneself in an honest, professional and respectful manner
at all times.
● Ability to create effective working relationships with employees and the
public and keep LSG a family friendly atmosphere.
● Ability to deal with conflict among employees or customers in a
non-threatening and redemptive way.
● Must be highly motivated, organized and able to handle multiple priorities
● Must be flexible with the ability to adapt to change when required.
● Must report for work in a timely manner when scheduled.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met
by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Must be able to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds
- Bending, stooping, walking and standing for long periods at a
- Must be able to ascend/descend stairs throughout the day.
- Must be flexible with “farm-type” working conditions, mostly spent
Must have reliable transportation and phone.
- Must have reliable transportation to and from work.
- Must be amenable to utilizing personal smartphone for communication with teammates.
POTENTIAL FOR GROWTH
The Mobile Market Coordinator position is strategically designed as a
springboard for growth. The following positions are examples of suitable
● LSG Full Time Associate
● LSG Mobile Market Coordinator
● CSG Full Time Associate
● CSG Production Supervisor
● CSG Coordinator
● GRx Program Coordinator
PAY AND BENEFITS
- Pay starts at $16/hourly, depending on experience.
- 12-24 hours expected weekly.
- Additional compensation incentives.
- Project-based milestones & personal targets available.
- 20% discount on groceries, CSG, and free weekly “Fam Bag”
- 1 PTO per 6 months worked (if working >20hrs/wk on average)
- Eligible for 2 Sick Days per year (if working >20hrs/wk on average)
- Discounted Gym Membership at O2 Fitness Charleston Locations
- Option for 401k election with company match
- Access to future company growth options
- Priority for upper level company positions.
- Volunteer opportunities.
- Annual Executive check-ins.
- Free or discounted gym membership.
Lowcountry Street Grocery is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Interested
candidates should email email@example.com with a resume and cover letter
to apply. Position is open until filled.|||Charleston, SC |||||||||VorXDDc5Dn-MTzPZ|||PART_TIME|||USD|||HOUR|||single||||||||||||false