Mobile Market Manager Apply Now
Lowcountry Street Grocery is the flagship of our family of social enterprises conjointly dedicated to providing a more equitable, sustainable local food system for all. Lowcountry Street Grocery (LSG) began as a single grassroots mobile farmers’ market intent on bringing “produce to the people” hitting the road in April 2017. LSG has since grown and diversified with two adjoining sister enterprises: Community Supported Grocery (CSG) and GroceryRx (GRx). Community Supported Grocery aims to connect small farmers and producers to neighbors all across the Charleston area, with a particular focus on local food equity and convenience via home delivery. GroceryRx is LSG’s comprehensive, clinical produce-prescription program. It is deliberately designed to employ the power of healthy food and nutrition education to clinical settings, ultimately empowering health & wellness equity through both community and data-driven results. GRx is anchored by the immense community, inventory, and experience of LSG, with the expansive logistics, volume, and geographic reach of CSG. Under the wings of Lowcountry Street Grocery, both CSG & GRx exponentially advance the collective mission to sustainably and radically address systemic barriers to healthy food access, food insecurity, as well as local food proliferation. All outlets employ our “Robinhood Economics” pricing strategy that leverages revenue from high demand sales to directly address community needs. We envision a community that naturally supports both neighbors in need and small, local producers through radical, innovative systems that prove self-sustainability and resilience. As we grow our team, we seek individuals that believe in our mission and are invested in helping to make that vision a reality. Phew.
We are seeking a passionate, self-motivated individual to manage all retail operations onboard our mobile farmers’ market in the Charleston, SC area. Our mobile market is a retrofitted 1988 school bus named Nell. Nell’s primary purpose is to support and increase food access and local food equity for the greater Charleston area through mobility, empowerment, education, and community. Our mobile market delivers a local, healthy food retail establishment to various locations with targeted median incomes and sliding scale pricing structures on a set weekly schedule. Seasonal market hours range from 10am–6pm Tuesdays-Sundays. The market manager will manage market preparation, travel & logistics, personnel planning, daily on-site operations, inventory & inventory reporting, customer/vendor outreach, market troubleshooting, while maintaining LSG standards and oozy Nellbus vibes. The Market Manager (MM) is also expected to continually promote and explain our mission, healthy food incentive programs, as well as products and producers. This position is one of management with key responsibilities including staffing, personnel, inventory, marketing, reporting, and vehicle maintenance. The MM will work closely with and report directly to the CEO as well as the CSG General Manager, and LSG Mission Control. This position must maintain strict market standards both during operating hours and opening/closing. The manager position will require an interest in the field of local food systems and food justice, strong communication skills, strong attention to detail and the ability to pivot, and problem-solve with near autonomy. This position is ideal for someone pursuing a career in food, nutrition, customer-relations, social entrepreneurship, retail, non-profit, and public health.
MOBILE MARKET MANAGER RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversee all market preparation, operations, inventory, and market staff.
- Oversee site management protocol.
- Manage Personnel Plan including staff scheduling.
- Manage daily mobile market operations from bus loading/unloading, inventory management, point of sale, restocking, closing, and operations manual updates.
- Understand LSG/Lowcountry SC inventory in order to sell a variety of products with the ability to recommend seasonal products & potential pairings
- Utilize LSG/Lowcountry SC product knowledge to educate customers on inventory concentrating on an educational sales approach
- Create and maintain an inviting shopping experience through engaging with guest service
- Support other LSG initiatives such as community outreach, Community Supported Grocery, GroceryRx, etc.
- Communicate with customers thoughtfully, with a focus on how to best offer unique services, exceeding customer needs.
- Log & Report SNAP/EBT Incentives and GroceryRx vouchers weekly
- Facilitate other daily reports, schedules, and updates
TEAM MEMBER SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience in local agriculture/food and beverage, 3-5 years minimum.
- Experience managing a small team.
- Experience working within produce inventory management
- Start-up experience, Food Truck management is a big plus!
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Proficiency in all social media outlets required.
- Spanish speaking fluency is a huge plus.
- Proficiency in Microsoft and Google Data Suites.
- Able to take direction, work independently, and as a member of a team to be a force for good in the community.
- Possess a love of people and a desire for excellent customer service.
- Possess a positive, enthusiastic attitude.
- Has good problem-solving skills, is hard-working and creative, and pays attention to details.
- Must possess a passion for clean, local food and telling the story behind the food and the producer.
- Good interpersonal skills including the ability to communicate well verbally and in writing.
- Must conduct oneself in a honest, professional and respectful manner at all times.
- Ability to create effective working relationships with employees and the public and keep LSG a family friendly atmosphere.
- Ability to deal with conflict among employees or customers in a non-threatening and redemptive way.
- Must be highly motivated, organized and able to handle multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Must be flexible with the ability to adapt to change when required.
- Must have reliable transportation and phone.
- Must have or be willing to achieve a CDL license.
- Reporting for work in a timely manner when scheduled.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Must be able to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds
- Bending, stooping, walking and standing for long periods at a time
- Must be able to ascend/descend stairs throughout the day
- Must be flexible with “farm-type” working conditions, mostly spent outside.
POTENTIAL FOR GROWTH
Like all positions within LSG, the Mobile Market Manager position can be a springboard for growth. The following positions are examples of suitable organizational mobility:
- CSG Production Supervisor
- CSG General Manager
- CSG Regional Manager
- LSG Operations Manager
PAY AND BENEFITS
- Pay starts at $47-$57k depending on experience
- Full Medical Benefits including: (optional after 60 days at position, applicable for salary positions only)
- Top Tier Health Insurance PPO
- Dental & Vision
- 40 Expected Weekly Hours
- Additional Compensation Incentives
- Project-Based Milestones & Personal Targets Available
- 25% discount on groceries, CSG, free weekly “Fam Bag”
- 3 Weeks Paid Time Off (120 hrs, applicable for salary positions only)
- Priority For Upper Level Company Positions
- Access to Future Company Growth Options
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Triannual Executive Check Ins (applicable for salary positions only)
Lowcountry Street Grocery is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Interested candidates should email email@example.com with a resume and cover letter to apply. Position is open until filled.|||Charleston, SC |||||||||UoCHojItoDiloImF|||FULL_TIME|||USD|||HOUR|||single||||||||||||false