Mobile Market Associate (full-time) Apply Now
Lowcountry Street Grocery is the flagship of our family of social enterprises conjointly dedicated to providing a more equitable, sustainable local food system for all. Lowcountry Street Grocery (LSG) began as a single grassroots mobile farmers’ market intent on bringing “produce to the people” and hitting the road in April 2017. LSG has now grown and diversified with two adjoining sister enterprises: Community Supported Grocery (CSG) and GroceryRx (GRx). Community Supported Grocery aims to connect small farmers and producers to neighbors all across the Charleston area, with a particular focus on local food equity and convenience via home delivery. GroceryRx is LSG’s comprehensive RDN-led produce-prescription program. It is deliberately designed to employ the power of healthy food and nutrition education to clinical settings, ultimately empowering health & wellness equity through community and data-driven results. GRx is both buoyed and leveraged by the immense community, inventory, and experience of LSG, with the expansive logistics, volume, and geography of CSG. Under the wings of Lowcountry Street Grocery, both CSG & GRx exponentially advance the collective mission to sustainably and radically address systemic barriers to healthy food access, food insecurity, as well as local food proliferation. All outlets employ our “Robin Hood” pricing strategy that leverages revenue from high demand sales to directly address community needs. We envision a community that naturally supports both neighbors in need and small, local producers through radical, innovative systems that prove sustainability and resilience. As we grow our team, we seek individuals that believe in our mission and are invested in helping to make that vision a reality. Phew.
We are seeking a passionate, self-motivated individual to help manage retail operations on our mobile farmers market. Our mobile market is a retrofitted school bus named Nell. Its primary purpose is to support and increase local food access, and healthy food equity for the greater Charleston area through mobility, empowerment, and community. Our mobile market delivers local, healthy food retail establishments in various locations on a set weekly schedule. LSG operating hours are Monday-Friday between 7:00 AM-9:00 PM, as well as occasional expected events Saturdays and Sundays between 7:00 AM-9:00 PM. The Market Associate will help manage daily on-site operations, conduct outreach to customers, promote and explain our mission, healthy food incentive programs, as well as products and producers. This position is responsible for weekly market preparation and operations including but not limited to direct to consumer sales, inventory management, frequent product rotation and merchandising, social media engagement, and daily operations reporting. The Market Associate will work closely with other Mobile Market and CSG team members including and report directly to the Mobile Market Coordinator/General Manager, CSG General Manager, CSG Assistant Manager, and at times the CEO. Given the nature and duality of our business, this position will work within onsite CSG operations, as well as GRx programming from time to time. This position must maintain strict market standards both during operating hours and opening/closing. The Associate position will require an interest in the field of local food systems and food justice, hustle, strong communication skills, supreme attention to detail and the ability to pivot, and problem-solve with near autonomy. This position is ideal for someone pursuing a career in food, nutrition, customer-relations, social entrepreneurship, retail, non-profit, and public health.
MOBILE MARKET RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversee market preparation and assist in all market operations.
- Assist with facilitating weekly marketing strategies, particularly social media, merchandising and/or community networking involvement.
- Assist and help lead daily mobile market operations from bus loading/unloading, inventory management, point of sale, restocking and merchandising.
- Consistently coordinate and communicate with all bus staff & mothership (onsite CSG & GRx) staff throughout the day for seamless operations.
- Assist and help lead daily market closing procedures.
- Help to Log & Report SNAP/EBT, and Healthy Bucks Incentives, as well as GroceryRx vouchers when applicable for Nell
- Understand LSG inventory in order to sell a variety of products with the ability to recommend pairings and complimentary products.
- Create and maintain an inviting shopping experience through oozy vibes, and supreme customer service.
- Support other LSG initiatives such as Community Supported Grocery, GroceryRx, and other forms of community outreach or resource sharing etc.
- Other duties as assigned to meet business needs
TEAM MEMBER SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience in local agriculture/food and beverage appreciated.
- Experience with large vehicles and high-volume food trucks is appreciated.
- Proficiency in all social media outlets required.
- Spanish speaking fluency is a huge plus.
- Proficiency in Microsoft and Google Data Suites.
- Proficiency Google Communications.
- Able to take direction, work independently, and as a member of a team to be a force for good in the community.
- Possess a love of people and a desire for excellent customer service.
- Possess a positive, enthusiastic attitude.
- Must demonstrate a strong sense of urgency.
- Has good problem-solving skills, is hard-working and creative, and pays attention to details.
- Must possess a passion for clean, local food and telling the story behind the food and the producer.
- Good interpersonal skills including the ability to communicate well verbally and in writing.
- Must conduct oneself in a honest, professional and respectful manner at all times.
- Ability to create effective working relationships with employees and the public and keep LSG a family friendly atmosphere.
- Ability to deal with conflict among employees or customers in a non-threatening and redemptive way.
- Must be highly motivated, organized and able to handle multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Must be flexible with the ability to adapt to change when required.
- Reporting for work in a timely manner when scheduled.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & OTHER REQUIREMENTS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Must be able to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds
- Bending, stooping, walking and standing for long periods at a time
- Must be able to ascend/descend stairs throughout the day
- Must be flexible with “farm-type” working conditions, mostly spent outside.
Must have reliable transportation and phone.
- Must have reliable transportation to and from work.
- Must be amenable to utilizing personal smartphone for delivery routing app, and communication with customers and teammates.
POTENTIAL FOR GROWTH
The Mobile Market Associate position is strategically designed as a springboard for growth. The following positions are examples of suitable organizational mobility:
- CSG Production Supervisor
- CSG Coordinator
- CSG Assistant Manager
- LSG Mobile Market Coordinator
- GRx Program Coordinator
PAY AND BENEFITS
- Pay starts at $37,000 Annual Salary
- Full Medical Benefits including: (optional after 60 days at position, applicable for salary positions only)
- Top Tier Health Insurance PPO
- Dental & Vision
- Additional Wellness Coverage (Chiropractic & Acupuncture)
- 36-42 Expected Weekly Hours
- Additional Compensation Incentives
- Option for 401k election with company match after 6 months employment
- Project-Based Milestones & Personal Targets Available
- 20% discount on groceries, CSG, free weekly “Fam Bag”
- 2 Weeks Paid Time Off (80 hrs, applicable for salary positions only)
- Eligible for 2 sick days per year
- Eligible for Company Recognized Paid Holidays
- Discounted Gym Membership at O2 Fitness Charleston locations
- Priority For Upper Level Company Positions
- Access to Future Company Growth Options
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Biannual Executive Check Ins
Lowcountry Street Grocery is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Interested candidates should email firstname.lastname@example.org with a resume and cover letter to apply. Position is open until filled.|||Charleston, SC |||||||||lx~w7AI3O-BhEpHh|||FULL_TIME|||USD|||HOUR|||single||||||||||||false|||